• The best place for Minnesota Mix Martial Arts news!
  • It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:18 am
www.mnmmanews.com

MN Sucks

Everything you ever wanted to know about Mixed Martial Arts in Minnesota...

MN Sucks

Postby SpartyFighter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:49 pm

So this state had 2 fight cards last night w/ 18 tptal fights. and 15 of those fights ended in first round.

Fucking sad. Why do fighters keep fighting for shit matchmakers and shit promotions?
SpartyFighter

Re: MN Sucks

Postby MarkMask » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:02 pm

I literally signed in to my account to make a thread but ill politely bump yours. (or lack of bumping due to the fact this forum is completely dead)

MN MMA 2013

Dead: There is no sense of rivalry, self motivation, drive etc. Every gym owner is basically teaching to keep a paycheck. Is it just me or does anyone else like when 2 camps think they have the up and coming prospects and put them against each other. The closest thing we get is Richman vs. Jackson thursday on Bellator. Everyone keeps to themselves goes to the fights/ or watches them from home on twitter lol. MN needs an MMA reporter that can interview prospects, go take inside looks at camps, talk to top caches. Who cares about posters for the fights. Does anyone actually read them. MN needs a HYPE man desperately. Until then MN MMA will still be boring as shit and very UN-eventful.
MarkMask

Postby mnmmanews » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:40 pm

OK, that's fair enough. A couple of things from my perspective ...

First, I'll never be a "hype man" ... at least, that's never my intent, because I'm not affiliated with any gym, promotion or camp (whether you believe it or not). I started this site simply to give fighters recognition for their hard work.

I agree with the bulk of your post. I think the biggest problems on my end right now are the paranoia from certain camps/promotions and budget.

Truth is, I have one paid ad on this site right now. So, essentially, this site is bringing in $100 a month for me. I live in Rochester. So, if I drive up and cover one event ... there goes the profit for one month. I've operated this way for quite some time. I don't mind breaking even. I don't even mind losing money. Heck, if you broke down the hours I spent writing stories and covering events -- or just the overall hours I put into the site on a week-to-week basis -- I make less than anyone wants to know. ... It's never been about money, though, and it never will be. But I can't lose my rear-end (especially now because I am married and have someone else to think about).

That said, rarely do I skip an event because I can't afford to go (for the record, no promotion pays me to cover their events ... KOTC pays me to take pictures for them). I do skip events when I have to work, because my real job pays the bills.

Other points ...

As for interviewing more fighters, I will continue to do that more often. That said, which legit prospect in Minnesota has never had an interview on MN MMA NEWS (either video or print ... Tony Martin hasn't, technically, but he was the fighter of the year)?? At some point or another, I feel like we've covered so many of them. Damion Hill (many times), Dan Moret, Chad Curry, the Bash Bros., Kenn Glenn, Dan Kiser, Juice, Compton, Castaneda, Murphy, Getzel, Perzynski, Rud, Williamson, Marz Turner ... to name a few, from all sorts of camps.

It can always be better, though. I'd also love to have more people writing for me or interviewing fighters. Problem is, it's tough to get someone unbiased. Someone trustworthy. Heck, the last guy I had doing assigned video interviews stole my camera (still has it) and now has started making up rumors about me accepting bribes and black-balling certain camps and promotions. LOL! Again, for the record, no camp/promotion has or will be black-balled. Even the folks who created the rumors ... unfortunately, I will still cover them as I did before, whether I like them or not.

But, now we have promotions and camps that don't want coverage at all. Doesn't make sense to me, but it's reality.

I tried to do a story on Mitch Jackson a couple weeks ago, right after I announced the Jackson-Richman fight. Mitch asked that I run it through his management ... no response.

That's just one example, and I don't mean to pick on those guys. But it's one of the hurdles I face.

Anyway, this is rambling on ... but I just wanted to put in my two cents.

Anyone who wants to write, or any promotion that wants to get more coverage, hit me up. Let me know, work with me on fight week, GET ME YOUR FIGHT CARDS (I won't release them until you're comfortable) and we can pump up some fights and fighters.
mnmmanews
Site Admin

Postby mnmmanews » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:48 pm

One other thing that I see, something that drives me nuts all the time ...

When MN promotions see other promotions doing well, instead of cranking it up a notch, working harder and doing a better job ... too many of them instead start attack campaigns, make up lies, try to smear the other promotions. It sucks, and unfortunately I'm the one who has to deal with it.

I wish it wasn't this way. If everyone just worked their bags off, think about the great fights we'd see every month!
mnmmanews
Site Admin

Postby SpartyFighter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Whatever. I just want to see better fights. Im sure some are paranoid or whatever but Id like to see yoy do more stories on local fighters. I dont get why promoteres wouldnt want the stories?

It does suck that the site doesnt make more money. Maybe sell shirts or something to help.

I agree with Mark that some of these coaches and gyms are too scared.

Crystal guys seem to fight everyone though.

Gamst doesnt promtoe his fighters for shit so I dont know why anyone fights for him.

CFX has gone down a little. Their big shows are still good. Driller promotes their own guys, and some others.

Anybody checked out new promotions up north? I've trained with a few of those guys on those shows. And most suck.
SpartyFighter

Postby DIVA » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 am

And i thought i was a negative nancy.
DIVA

Postby DIVA » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:12 am

Since everything,everybody, and every promotion sucks... are you just amazingly awesome mr sparty?
DIVA

Postby TheCorndog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:10 am

Why so angery? This is the one site around that posts anything as far as I know. Alot of work goes into this place and its all ran by one man. Do you think you could do a better job?
TheCorndog

Postby SpartyFighter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:19 am

Me? I wasn't trying to be negative. I thikn this site does a good job. Just saying I want promotions to do a better job.
SpartyFighter

Postby Bruno » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 pm

...or because 15/18 fights ending in the first round.... that must mean that MN is just full of exciting fighters that can finish their fights ;) :lol:

But yes I agree, there def needs to be more interesting fights. Furthermore, I think MN MMA News is doing a good job, although I think having that ad where it took up the whole page and you had to press "skip this ad" was a bad idea. But I understand you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Also a suggestion, in the future, do you think there will ever be a "comments" section for each article? I'm sure there would be lots of opinions of readers if there was a comment section for each article.
Bruno

Postby Dominage » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 am

Also a suggestion, in the future, do you think there will ever be a "comments" section for each article? I'm sure there would be lots of opinions of readers if there was a comment section for each article.

Yeah that is a good idea. It would be pretty awesome to comment on the news updates. I have seen on other sites with forums where it posts the news update as a forum thread as well... that worked pretty slick.
Dominage

Postby Savage » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:34 pm

You will get your camera back when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Savage

Return to Minnesota MMA News Talk