Text Size
Pretty Boy ends war of words with Hill Print E-mail
Written by Ben Pherson   
Sunday, 15 December 2013 10:25

SHAKOPEE -- For weeks leading up to the showdown, neither Damion Hill nor Jordan Parsons minced words when talking about their dislike for each other.

But Parsons needed only a minute to end that war of words Saturday night at Canterbury Park during Caged Chaos 4.

Parsons, who trains at the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy, and Hill, who trains at Valhalla Combat Sports, exchanged strikes early. Hill didn't come with his vicious overhand right, instead throwing kicks early and often. Parsons avoided serious damage, and he countered with kicks of his own.

Parsons didn't take long to shoot for a takedown, putting Hill on the mat. Hill attempted a guillotine choke, but it wasn't tight and Parsons slipped out.

As the fighters transitioned back to their feet, Parsons locked onto a guillotine of his own. It was tight. The standing guillotine lifted Hill off the ground. Parsons eventually put Hill down with the choke, and he finished it from top position just 1:10 into the fight.

The victory puts Parsons in position to sign with a big-time promotion. He's now 9-1 overall. Hill dropped to 9-3.

Dan Moret won the night's co-main event over Jose Pacheco in a rematch of their RFA showdown.

Moret came out swinging, landing a nice flurry to start the fight. Pacheco clinched, trying to slow the barrage. But Moret was able to get the front trip and put Pacheco on his back.

Moret spent much of the round in Pacheco's guard, but the high-level ground work by both guys was impressive. Pacheco worked for several high-level sweeps, but Moret defended perfectly. Moret attempted to pass guard often, but Pacheco's defense was flawless.


While the high-end ground work didn't result in any powerful strikes, it was entertaining.

Moret again came out firing in the second, landing a solid kick to Pacheco's body. But Pacheco changed levels and finished a takedown. He immediately transitioned to Moret's back and the Minnesota standout was in trouble.

But Moret didn't stay there long, rolling out and winning a scramble that ended with Moret on top and in half-guard. The scramble wasn't over, though, and Pacheco rolled into Moret's full guard.

Moret immediately looked for submissions, attempting an armbar. Pacheco defended and ended up in side control, but the scramble continued, and Moret came out on top once again, this time landing in north-south position.

Moret sunk in an arm-in north-south choke, cinched it tightly and got the tap at 3:17 of the second round.

It was the finish Moret desired after going the distance with Pacheco during the first meeting. Moret remains under contract with RFA and intends to return to the organization for his next fight.

The rest of the night went quickly, but mostly as expected.

There were eight professional fights on the card, and all but Moret vs. Pacheco ended in the first round. Four of the seven amateur fights did see the third round, though.

Michael Jokondo and Marc Gomez opened the night with what looked like a close, three-round fight.

They traded strikes in the opening round, with Jokondo landing far more often, especially with his kicks. Jokondo started pushing the pace after finding his range.

As soon as Gomez found some offense, Jokondo shot for and finished a double-leg takedown. He stayed on top for the remainder of the round.

The second round looked similar to start, with Jokondo landing a couple of nice strikes. Gomez had a hard time getting inside against the much longer Jokondo. But Gomez did eventually catch one of Jokondo's kicks and put him on his back.

Jokondo attempted an armbar, but Gomez's elbow never was inside, so there was little danger. Jokondo refused to let go, though, which opened him up for strikes. Gomez rained down hammer fists until the round ended.

The fight appeared to be 1-1 heading into the third. But neither fighter came out overly aggressive in the final frame. Still, Jokondo controlled the pace with his striking, keeping Gomez at a distance and landing solid body kicks and a stiff jab over and over again.

The fight went to the judges. All three scored it 30-27 for Jokondo, giving him a unanimous-decision win in his MMA debut.

The second fight also featured two newcomers in American Top Team's Brian Shover and Combat Jiu-Jitsu's Michael Walsh.

Shover made his MMA debut at 44 years of age, while Walsh is just 21.

Shover appeared quite nervous, but he came out swinging. Walsh fired away, too, and eventually locked up the clinch, whipping Shover to the mat. Walsh looked to sit up out of Shover's guard in an attempt to rain down punches. Shover sat up, though, and it allowed Walsh to take his back. Walsh attempted a rear-naked choke, but Shover defended and rolled back over. That allowed Walsh to gain full mount. Walsh rained down punches all through the scramble. He pounded away until the ref finally stopped it, giving him the TKO win at 1:21 of the first round.

The Academy's Jason Huntley and Berger MMA's Erik Newman locked up in the night's most controversial decision.

After a brief exchange on the feet, Newman quickly hit the single-leg takedown. On the ground, Newman used an underhook to sweep, but Newman rolled right through and remained on top.

Huntley eventually got his back to the cage and walked the wall. But Newman immediately hit a double-leg takedown, putting Huntley on his back again.

Newman landed a few body shots and attempted to set up an arm triangle. But Huntley defended well.

Huntley got back to his feet as the 10-second warning sounded, but he was on his way back down as time expired.

Huntley landed a nice overhand right to start the second round. Newman came with a few kicks, and then he shot for a single-leg, ran the pipe and finished it. He moved to side control, but Huntley trapped one of his arms. The trapped arm proved to be the perfect defense for Huntley as it stopped Newman from getting off any power strikes. When Newman finally got his arm free, Huntley gained full guard and avoided damage.

Newman kept coming with body shots, but nothing was powerful. Late in the round, Huntley attempted a kimura, but that allowed Newman to pass his guard. The round ended with Newman in side control.

The fighters exchanged kicks to start the third. Again, Newman changed levels and hit a double-leg takedown, putting Huntley on the mat once again.

But once again, Huntley neutralized Newman on the ground. He trapped arms and never allowed him any space.

Newman finally worked to Huntley's back after a scramble. He rained down a few punches. Huntley rolled, but that allowed Newman to gain full mount. He landed a few more punches before Huntley rolled all the way through.

This time, Huntley won the scramble, ending up on top. With time running out, Huntley quickly set up and locked in an arm triangle.

But the choke didn't get locked in until the 10-second warning, and Newman was saved by the bell.

Despite spending 90 percent of the fight on top, Newman lost the fight in one judge's eyes (29-28 for Huntley). Another judge scored it 29-28 for Newman, and the final judge scored it 29-29, meaning the fight ended in a draw.

Huntley has immediately asked for a rematch.

The scoring brings up an interesting debate about judging. Newman spent the bulk of all three rounds in a dominant position, but he wasn't able to generate offense from those positions.

Both fighters likely will get another change to prove themselves in the very near future.

Marc Renville of McCune's turned in arguably the best performance of his amateur career in his fight against Iowa's Calvin Grube.

Renville and Grube exchanged strikes early, with Grube just missing a massive uppercut.

Renville shot for a double-leg takedown and finished it. On the ground, Renville looked for ground and pound, while Grube attempted submissions off his back. He first tried for an armbar, then a kimura, then a triangle late. But Renville did enough on top and defended each submission.

In the second, Renville came out firing. The fighters locked up, and Grube attempted a guillotine choke. Renville never was in danger, though, and the submission attempt allowed Renville to take a dominant position.

Again, Grube looked for submissions off his back. Renville moved to half-guard, but that allowed Grube to hit the sweep. Off his back, Renville attempted to set up a triangle of his own. But the round came to an end.

In the third, Renville looked sharp, throwing solid strikes. Grube didn't have an answer, so Renville kept firing away.

Grube eventually changed levels and hit a nice double-leg. But that opened him up for a submission, and Renville quickly locked up a triangle. He hooked the leg, and there was no way out for Grube, who tapped out at the 2:24 mark of the third round.

Dustin Murphy scored the knockout of the night, taking out Darrien Mackiel.

Both fighters landed with solid shots at the same time, and they both appeared wobbled. But as they both tried to scramble back to their feet, Murphy landed a great right hand to Mackiel's chin. Murphy landed another shot, and Mackiel briefly went limp, and the ref stopped it just 20 seconds into the first.

Charles Anozie of Lifetime MMA moved to 2-0 with his victory over Tony Francis.

Anozie attempted a superman punch to start the fight, but he missed and Francis clinched up.

Anozie took the fight to the ground, but Francis quickly got back up. Anozie threw a few uppercuts and took Francis back to the mat.

Anozie looked like he was setting up a Von Flue choke right away, but Francis worked his way free and back to his feet once again. He left his neck exposed, though, and Anozie clamped onto a guillotine, forcing the tap 2:00 into the opening frame.

Jesse Wannemacher and Jesse Rogge put on a show in their matchup at 150 pounds.

Wannemacher's striking was on point as usual in the opening round. After a brief exchange, the fighters locked up and hit the ground for a second. But the fight went right back to its feet.

Wannemacher started landing nice combinations, including a great body shot.

Rogge stayed in the pocket, though, and showed off an incredible chin.

Later in the round, Rogge attempted a guillotine choke, jumping guard and falling to the mat. It looked deep, but Wannemacher popped his head out before the end of the round.

Rogge came out more aggressive in the second, throwing leg kicks. He kept Wannemacher at a distance for some time, but Wannemacher eventually came back with a good combination.

Wannemacher landed over and over again in the second, again mixing in some vicious body shots. But Rogge stayed on his feet.

Early in the third round, the fight was pushed against the cage, and Wannemacher took down Rogge. On the takedown, Rogge's head hit the cage awkwardly and it opened up a massive gash on the back of his head. The cut poured blood.

Wannemacher backed off, wanting Rogge to stand back up with him. But Rogge, grabbing the back of his head and feeling how deep the cut was, instead verbally submitted to the ref, ending the fight 58 seconds into the final round.

Mark Sainci didn't need long to win his professional debut over late-replacement Dale Bennett.

Interestingly enough, Bennett shot for a double-leg takedown against Sainci, who is a high-level wrestler. But Sainci defended, using his hips to flip over Bennett and put him on his back.

Sainci went to work, raining down punches, forcing Bennett to offer his back. He locked up the rear-naked choke, and getting the submission victory 1:07 into the fight.

Matt Larson needed just 1:09 to finish off Shane DeZee. Larson hit a body lock takedown and immediately went to work, raining down punches, elbows and hammer fists. A couple of the elbows were devastating, and he kept the pressure on until DeZee went out cold at 1:09 of the opening frame.

After the fight, DeZee announced his retirement from MMA.

Garrett Olson came out strong against the slimmed down Reese Hernandez.

After some clinch work and nice knees by Hernandez, Olson landed a firm, crisp left jab that wobbled and hurt Hernandez.

Olson went into attack mode. He pounced, taking Hernandez's back while standing and he eventually tripped him to the mat. On the ground, Olson rained down punches. Hernandez worked back to his feet, but Olson still had his back and dragged him back to the ground.

On the ground, Hernandez rolled over, but Olson kept his back and looked for the rear-naked choke with his back against the mat.

Eventually, Hernandez slipped out of the choke, but Olson gained full mount in the process, again raining down punches. From the top, Olson started to lock up a mounted triangle, but that allowed Hernandez to sweep. Still, he swept into Olson's triangle.

Olson never was able to fully lock in the triangle, though, and that put him in a bad spot with Hernandez on top and fully recovered from the initial danger.

Hernandez quickly transitioned to Olson's back, and he started to rain down punches. Olson held onto a leg, preventing Hernandez from fully taking his back, but he eventually was forced to give it up.

Hernandez locked onto a rear-naked choke, despite not having his hooks fully in. It didn't matter as the choke was tight, and Olson submitted at the 3:06 mark of the first round.

Nate Howe looked as sharp as ever in his showdown with Jesse Midas.

Howe has now cut all the way down to 170 pounds, and he appears to have found his home.

Midas came out swinging as usual, and Howe worked for the takedown. Midas sprawled and used the failed shot to put Howe on his back. But that's right in Howe's wheelhouse.

Midas wisely went back to his feet after Howe attempted an armbar.

On the feet, though, Midas attempted a standing kimura. But Howe defended it, and it allowed him to take top position on the ground. Howe worked to Midas' back. It didn't take long for him to lock in the rear-naked choke. Midas held off for as long as he could but eventually tapped at the 2:32 mark of the first round.

The much-anticipated pro debut of Marcelo Nunes did not disappoint. Nunes, who is a black belt and trains at the Cellar, locked up with Nate Hoffman early and finished a double-leg takedown.

Nunes was looking for an arm triangle early, but then he switched to punches and elbows in full mount. Hoffman eventually offered his back, and Nunes locked up a body triangle. But Hoffman defended well, and the fight rolled back over. Nunes gave up the body triangle, and transitioned to an armbar.

Just like that, it was over. Hoffman submitted at the 3:06 of the first.

Ben Smith also made quick work of veteran Victor Moreno.

Smith, who is a standout wrestler from the Academy, attempted a spinning back kick, but Moreno locked up and took Smith down.

On the ground, Smith looked for a guillotine, but Moreno popped his head out.

Smith attempted to grab a keylock from the bottom, across his body. The crazy submission attempt worked, though, and Moreno's elbow was torqued enough to force the submission at 1:38 of the first. After the fight, Smith said he heard Moreno's elbow pop.

The next Driller/SEG show is scheduled for Jan. 11 at Epic in Minneapolis.


Fighter of the night: Dan Moret.

Fight of the night: Moret vs. Jose Pacheco.

Knockout of the night: Dustin Murphy.

Submission of the night: Ben Smith.





150 -- Jordan Parsons def. Damion Hill by submission due to guillotine choke at 1:10 of first round.

145 -- Dan Moret def. Jose Pacheco by submission due to arm-in north-south choke at 3:17 of second round.

170 -- Benjamin Smith def. Victor Moreno by submission due to inverted keylock at 1:38 of first round.

190 -- Marcelo Nunes def. Nate Hoffman by submission due to armbar at 3:06 of first round.

175 -- Nate Howe def. Jesse Midas by submission due to rear-naked choke at 2:32 of first round.

190 -- Reese Hernandez def. Garrett Olson by submission due to rear-naked choke at 3:06 of first round.

Heavyweight -- Matt Larson def. Shane Dezee by TKO at 1:09 of first round.

145 -- Mark Sainci def. Dale Bennett by submission due to rear-naked choke at 1:07 of first round.


150 -- Jesse Wannemacher def. Jesse Rogge due to verbal submission (cut) at :58 of third round.

170 -- Charles Anozie def. Tony Francis by submission due to guillotine choke at 2:00 of first round.

145 -- Dustin Murphy def. Darrien Mackiel by KO at :28 of first round.

150 -- Marc Renville def. Calvin Grube by submission due to triangle choke at 2:24 of third round.

125 -- Erik Newman vs. Jason Huntley ends in a draw (29-28, 28-29, 29-29).

185 -- Michael Walsh def. Brian Shover by TKO at 1:21 of first round.

125 -- Michael Jokondo def. Marc Gomez by unanimous decision (30-27 on all three).